On the 28th of February we launched an application call for Small Research Grants of up to £5,000, targeted at Early Career Researchers at the University of Edinburgh or Edinburgh Napier University.
Clearly the landscape of what research we can do, and indeed the value of that research, has changed quite rapidly since then, so we’ve updated this call in the following ways:
- In addition to the previous broad topics of the initial call, we would like to explicitly invite and encourage research projects that address issues related to working in the creative industries during this emergency.
- As far as possible, we expect applications to be responsible and take into account the feasibility of any proposed research activities during this time.
- We are extending the timeline for projects beyond July, until October 31st.
- We will be extending the application deadline itself by one week to 5pm on Thursday the 16th of April.
In expanding the scope of this call, we see a unique opportunity to consider how Creative Informatics research can, in a small way, support many of those in the creative industries who like many others, are facing considerable hardship as a result of the social distancing measures being adopted to combat COVID-19.
Therefore, as well as projects addressing the broader topics of Creative Informatics research raised in the initial call, we would encourage applicants to consider research projects related to the following topics:
- Supporting remote collaboration and performances of creative work
- New online business models for creative work
- Creative online audience collaborations
- Live-streaming economies
- Barriers and challenges to online creative work
Further ideas and inspiration can also be found the recent UKRI ‘Audiences of the Future’ call: https://www.ukri.org/innovation/industrial-strategy-challenge-fund/audience-of-the-future/
These changes have been updated in the CI Small Research Grants Information Document and the CI Small Research Grants Application Form. Please make sure to use the updated application form, and submit by email as a pdf to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the new deadline of April 16th.
If you have any questions or require further information about this call, please contact Chris Elsden at: email@example.com